DIRECTOR OF SACRED MUSIC AT THE CATHEDRAL OF SAINT JOSEPH
The Director of Sacred Music is a full-time, salaried position and is supervised by the Rector of the Cathedral parish. The Director is responsible for the overall execution of the Cathedral’s music ministry with a pastoral approach, in line with Church documents, policies of the Diocesan Liturgical Commission, and Bishop McKnight’s vision on sacred music. This individual is in charge of the Cathedral Choir, the Cathedral Schola, the Cathedral School Choir, the Knights of Columbus Choir, the Adult Contemporary Ensemble, diocesan choirs for episcopal liturgies (as needed), assistant musicians, and cantors. The new Director will have the opportunity to help shape the future of the Cathedral’s music ministry following an extensive interior renovation of the Cathedral and the construction of a new pipe organ (completion mid-2023).
- Acts as principal organist and/or pianist for most Masses
- Directs the Cathedral Choir, especially during episcopal liturgies
- Prepares and rehearses with choir groups and cantors for Cathedral liturgies
- Plans and reviews the hymns and Mass settings for regularly scheduled liturgies, including school Masses
- Recruits other musicians as needed, and assists in acquisition of new instruments
- Oversees the maintenance of the Cathedral’s pipe organ and pianos
- Coordinates liturgical music for weddings, funerals, and other sacramental celebrations at the Cathedral, as well as various musical concerts held at the Cathedral (additional stipends provided)
- Provides educational support for the music teacher in the Cathedral school
- Encourages and supports young parishioners in using and developing their musical talents
- Prepares the annual budget for the music program
- Attends regular staff meetings, and serves as a member on the Diocesan Liturgical Commission
- Executes other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Active, practicing Catholic, living a moral life according to the tenets of Catholicism
- Master’s degree in music or equivalent professional experience
- Proficient organ performance, and ideally, proficient piano performance
- Choir directing skills
- Excellent skills in administration, development of print materials, communication, collaboration, and supervision
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Appreciation for both traditional and contemporary music selections
- Familiarity with Catholic Church documents on sacred music
- Availability to carry out responsibilities in the evenings, on weekends, and holidays
- Membership in professional organizations
We offer a competitive salary, in addition to health insurance benefits, sick leave, vacation, and professional development opportunities. To apply, please send your curriculum vitae and a cover letter to the Rev. Daniel J. Merz, SLD at [email protected]
Director of Youth Ministry
Job Description- -Director of Youth Ministry
Accountable to: Pastor of Newman Parish
Status: Full-time, regular, exempt
General Summary: Create and direct an environment which leads the youth from Newman and Sacred Heart Parishes into a relationship with God through Jesus Christ and the Church in coordination with youth ministry staff at Our Lady of Lourdes through tri-parish high school and middle school youth groups.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Pastoral availability to all high school age youth from Newman and Sacred Heart Parishes.
- Plan catechetical instruction and activities utilizing curriculum and Core Team model from the Life Teen program in coordination with Youth Ministry team at Our Lady of Lourdes (CoMo Life Teen):
- Recruit, train and supervise Core Team members.
- Plan and lead Sunday catechetical instruction and activities.
- Plan, direct and coordinate annual retreats such as, but not limited to the Steubenville Summer Conference, high school Fall Retreat, etc.
- Support the Director of Youth Ministry at Our Lady of Lourdes in planning catechetical instruction and activities utilizing curriculum and Core Team model from the Edge program in coordination with Youth Ministry team at Our Lady of Lourdes (CoMo Edge):
- Recruit, train and supervise Core Team members.
- Plan and lead Wednesday catechetical instruction and activities.
- Plan, direct and coordinate annual retreats such as, but not limited to the 8th grade Luke 18 retreat, NET retreat, etc.
- Serve as a resource person to students, Core Team members, parents/guardians.
- Serve as the primary staff person responsible for the youth ministry program by providing direction, planning, coordination and evaluation of programs.
- Supervise Youth Ministry intern.
- Collaborate with the Confirmation Coordinator especially in providing retreats.
- Determine and schedule appropriate meeting locations in each parish.
- Attend staff meetings at Newman Parish
- Assist in development and management of ministry budget.
- Maintain contact with the youth and parents/guardians in a timely manner to keep them informed of activities through the parish websites, emails, social media, etc.
- Communicate youth ministry events to staffs and parishes in a timely manner.
- Maintain Virtus training records for all volunteers and Core Team members.
- Cultivate relationships with those at Fr. Tolton Catholic (local Catholic high school) and Our Lady of Lourdes Interparish (local Catholic grade school), including helping with their retreats.
- BA degree in religious education, M.Div, MA in religious education/pastoral studies preferred.
- 2-3 years as a youth minister
Knowledge, skills, abilities:
- Confirmed, practicing Catholic.
- Qualified by State and Diocesan Policies and Regulations regarding prior accusation or conviction of sexual abuse.
- Well-developed communication skills.
- Liturgical ministry knowledge and experience.
- Emotionally and spiritually mature.
- Able to communicate the Catholic faith/teachings to youth
- Able to attend and engage in continuing youth ministry education
- Able to integrate contemporary world events with curriculum.
- Able to use Microsoft Office: Word, Power Point, Excel.
- Familiar with the use of social media like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Possess a working knowledge of AV equipment.
- Must possess energy level comparable to teens.
- Must be able to lift and move 20 lbs.
- Weekend, holiday and holy day duties
- Travel between parishes
- High school students mainly drawn from three public high schools and one Catholic high school.
- Middle school students, mainly drawn from multiple public middle schools and one Catholic school.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work required of this position. It is not meant to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three current professional references to Fr. Dan Merz at [email protected].