Director of Youth Ministry
Accountable to: Pastor of Newman Parish
Status: Full-time, regular, exempt
General Summary: Create and direct an environment which leads the youth from Newman and Sacred Heart Parishes into a relationship with God through Jesus Christ and the Church in coordination with youth ministry staff at Our Lady of Lourdes through tri-parish high school and middle school youth groups.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Pastoral availability to all high school age youth from Newman and Sacred Heart Parishes.
- Plan catechetical instruction and activities utilizing curriculum and Core Team model from the Life Teen program in coordination with Youth Ministry team at Our Lady of Lourdes (CoMo Life Teen):
- Recruit, train and supervise Core Team members.
- Plan and lead Sunday catechetical instruction and activities.
- Plan, direct and coordinate annual retreats such as, but not limited to the Steubenville Summer Conference, high school Fall Retreat, etc.
- Support the Director of Youth Ministry at Our Lady of Lourdes in planning catechetical instruction and activities utilizing curriculum and Core Team model from the Edge program in coordination with Youth Ministry team at Our Lady of Lourdes (CoMo Edge):
- Recruit, train and supervise Core Team members.
- Plan and lead Wednesday catechetical instruction and activities.
- Plan, direct and coordinate annual retreats such as, but not limited to the 8th grade Luke 18 retreat, NET retreat, etc.
- Serve as a resource person to students, Core Team members, parents/guardians.
- Serve as the primary staff person responsible for the youth ministry program by providing direction, planning, coordination and evaluation of programs.
- Supervise Youth Ministry intern.
- Collaborate with the Confirmation Coordinator especially in providing retreats.
- Determine and schedule appropriate meeting locations in each parish.
- Attend staff meetings at Newman Parish
- Assist in development and management of ministry budget.
- Maintain contact with the youth and parents/guardians in a timely manner to keep them informed of activities through the parish websites, emails, social media, etc.
- Communicate youth ministry events to staffs and parishes in a timely manner.
- Maintain Virtus training records for all volunteers and Core Team members.
- Cultivate relationships with those at Fr. Tolton Catholic (local Catholic high school) and Our Lady of Lourdes Interparish (local Catholic grade school), including helping with their retreats.
- BA degree in religious education, M.Div, MA in religious education/pastoral studies preferred.
- 2-3 years as a youth minister
Knowledge, skills, abilities:
- Confirmed, practicing Catholic.
- Qualified by State and Diocesan Policies and Regulations regarding prior accusation or conviction of sexual abuse.
- Well-developed communication skills.
- Liturgical ministry knowledge and experience.
- Emotionally and spiritually mature.
- Able to communicate the Catholic faith/teachings to youth
- Able to attend and engage in continuing youth ministry education
- Able to integrate contemporary world events with curriculum.
- Able to use Microsoft Office: Word, Power Point, Excel.
- Familiar with the use of social media like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Possess a working knowledge of AV equipment.
- Must possess energy level comparable to teens.
- Must be able to lift and move 20 lbs.
- Weekend, holiday and holy day duties
- Travel between parishes
- High school students mainly drawn from three public high schools and one Catholic high school.
- Middle school students, mainly drawn from multiple public middle schools and one Catholic school.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work required of this position. It is not meant to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three current professional references to Fr. Dan Merz at [email protected].
Resident Campus Minister
The St. Thomas More Newman Parish serving the University of Missouri-Columbia (Mizzou) and two other colleges is accepting applications for a full-time, post-graduate Resident Campus Minister. The Resident Campus Minister position is a one-year commitment (June 1, 2024 - May 31, 2025) with an option to renew for one additional year. The Resident Campus Minister reports directly to the Director of Campus Ministry and serves with a team of priests, four other professional campus ministry staff, parish staff and FOCUS missionaries.
The Resident Campus Minister has primary emphases in ministries related to evangelization, our weekly large group fellowship, and retreats. The Resident Campus Minister lives in an apartment at the Newman Center and works as a part of the Campus Ministry Team to serve the collegiate and parish community through practical ministry and a ministry of presence.
- Facilitate and supervise weekly large group ministry.
- Support new student outreach.
- Intentionally accompany 2-3 students through one-on-one spiritual mentoring.
- Mentor student leaders with evangelization and retreat leadership roles.
- Support FOCUS missionaries in accessing building and data resources for Bible Studies.
- Coordinate food hospitality for weekly and seasonal events.
- Facilitate locking of the building.
- Coordinate cleaning and care of campus ministry spaces.
- Serve in a supporting role for our retreat program.
- Be an active presence at the 8 pm Student Mass and support other events led by students.
- Attend mission trips and/or other trips, as needed.
- Staff parking lot for Mizzou home football games (shared by campus ministry staff).
- Become a member of the Catholic Campus Ministry Association
- Fulfill office duties in a timely manner.
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Practicing Catholic.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Experience as a student in Campus Ministry required.
- Ability to work nights and weekends as needed for the ministry.
- Courses in theology desired.
- Experience in small group Bible studies preferred.
Compensation consists of an apartment (utilities and parking included), hourly pay and benefits.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three current professional references to Angelle Hall, Director of Campus Ministry, at [email protected] by February 12, 2024.