Director of Development
St. Thomas More Newman Center (Newman) is hiring a Development Director. Established in 1963, Newman is a vibrant Catholic parish located adjacent to the University of Missouri (MU) campus. Newman serves 850 resident parishioner households with a full range of faith formation programs including a highly active Campus Ministry program that serves approximately 1,000 students at MU, Stephens College and Columbia College, all located in Columbia, Missouri. The Parish is looking for someone who is cheerful, enthusiastic, energetic, self-motivated, confident in their ability to ask for financial support and close philanthropic gifts, with a passion for building and maintaining strong relationships with students, resident parishioners, parents of students, alumni, and benefactors that will bear fruit in the form of philanthropic gifts to Newman.
Job Summary: Reporting to the pastor, The Director of Development is responsible for planning, organizing, and executing St. Thomas More Newman Center Parish fundraising strategic plan.
- Establish strong relationships with student parishioners and their parents.
- Maintain strong relationships with alumni.
- Support resident parishioners in annual offertory renewal and planned giving.
- Research external funding opportunities and prepare grants to pursue and secure funding for Newman priorities.
- Plan, execute, and grow the annual giving fund program, including prospect identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Manage the direct mail program, including three appeals, two newsletters, and one annual report.
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and close gifts with prospective donors. Includes overnight travel for a minimum of 30 face-to-face meetings quarterly.
- Coordinate, prospective donor visits for the Pastor, other staff, and volunteers as appropriate.
- Plan and execute Campus Ministry special giving programs:
- Legacy Fund (senior class gift) – secure gifts and pledges from graduating students.
- Giving Tuesday (annual) – plan and execute social media campaign to raise funds for specific ministry projects.
- Plan, promote, and execute special events designed to increase awareness of needs and provide opportunities for parents and alumni to give:
- Family Weekend: Receptions after morning Masses, Luncheon
- Homecoming Weekend: Alumni Tailgate, Homecoming game group seating, receptions after morning Masses, and Homecoming Alumni Choir.
- Alumni and donor regional and local events
- Conduct annual Offertory Renewal program
- Plan and execute Planned Giving Program including annual estate planning seminar.
- Research external funding opportunities for review by the Pastor; as directed by the Pastor prepare grant proposals to pursue and secure funding.
- Practicing Catholic
- Bachelor’s degree in non-profit management, public relations, communication, or related field
- Two years fundraising experience with demonstrated success
- Proficient in database software and Office 365
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite software an asset
- CFRE designation considered an asset
Salary commensurate with education and experience. Applications accepted until position is filled. Qualified applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to Fr. Dan Merz, SLD, at [email protected]