Instructions to Attend Public Mass
The St. Thomas More Newman Center has created the following instructions to attend public Mass in accordance with requirements set by the Diocese of Jefferson City, CDC guidelines and guidance from the local health department. These instructions have been created to keep everyone safe and healthy and to allow as many of our parishioners to celebrate Mass within the requirements. These instructions will be under evaluation and are subject to change throughout the month.
Those who are symptomatic or who have been exposed to another with the virus within 14 days are not permitted to enter the church, in accordance with national, state, and local health directives. Those who are at risk because of an underlying health issue or who are over 60 are strongly encouraged, for their health, to avoid the risk of attending public Mass.
We will continue to livestream the 11 a.m. Sunday Mass and the Noon Daily Mass on our Facebook page.
Dispensation from the Bishop
Although public Masses are resuming, please note that Bishop McKnight has dispensed the obligation to attend Sunday Mass for all the faithful in the diocese until further notice provided that they do one of the following:
- Prayerfully participate in the Sunday or holy day of obligation Mass livestreamed from their parish church or chapel, the Cathedral, the Vatican, or of any Mass of the day celebrated in communion with the Roman Catholic Church.
- Prayerfully read and meditate on the readings of the Mass for the Sunday or holy days of obligation, and recite the Rosary or Divine Mercy Chaplet.
About Mass at Newman
- The weekend Mass schedule is: 5 p.m. Saturday and 8:30 a.m., 11 a.m., 5 p.m. and 8 p.m. (Student Mass) on Sundays. Daily Mass will continue at Noon.
- All parishioners aged 10 and older are required to wear a mask at all times. Children over the age of two are strongly encouraged to do so per the CDC.
- Chairs in the Chapel and additional high contact areas (door handles, bathrooms, etc.) will be cleaned after each celebration of the Mass.
- Hand sanitizer is available at entrances to the Newman Center Building
Before Attending Mass
- Attendees are required to wear a mask at all times, except for the brief moment of receiving Holy Communion. Those who are not wearing a mask will not be permitted to enter the church. Masks will not be available at the parish.
- All attendees are required to maintain the social distancing standard of six (6) feet at all times, except for the brief moment of receiving Holy Communion.
- All attendees are asked to check their temperature, use the bathroom, and drink water at home before coming to church.
- All attendees are asked to follow the instructions listed here and any additional instructions of the staff while in the vicinity of the church.
Please be sure to arrive at least 15 minutes before Mass to ensure you have a seat.
- Seating for Masses will be available on a first come, first served basis. Please arrive early to ensure a seat in the chapel. Once capacity is reached, entrance into the Chapel will not be allowed.
- Exit and entrance doors to the Chapel to use the bathroom during Mass will be marked.
- To receive Holy Communion, all attendees will stay in their row and the Eucharistic Minister will come to each unit.
- Attendees may remain in the Chapel to pray for a short time after Mass has ended.